Home > What surgeries do we perform? > Metabolic surgery / diabetes surgery
METABOLIC SURGERY/ DIABETES SURGERY
Metabolic surgery is intended to cure Diabetes type II.
Metabolic surgery is related to performing a specific obesity surgery on patients with Diabetes type II.
It originated as an obesity surgery, but thanks to accumulated experience with Gastric Bypass, it has been recognized as a cure for diabetes in morbidly obese patients.
Our team performs gastric bypass surgery via laparoscopy with several changes appropriate for this type of patient (new-stomach bigger than the conventional technique -of 60-70cc, and short loop -of 75 cm-.). This delivers a cure of the diabetes in 85% of the cases and an evident improvement in the other 15%
SURGERY INDICATED IN:
- Patients between 25-60 years old
- BMI (Body Mass Index) above 30 (class I obesity).
- Diabetes mellitus type II (of adults) with less than 10 years of development.
- Slow evolution from medical treatment:
- High doses of oral anti-diabetes are needed.
- Increasing need of insulin.
+ Info in interesting links: